Islands Clean Up:
Residential Garbage & Recycling service
June 5, 2020 Update
The SCRD provides an annual residential garbage and recycling collection service for island residents on:
- Gambier Island
- Keats Island and nearby islands (e.g. Pasley, Popham, Ragged, Hermit)
- Anvil Island
- Trail Islands
- Thormanby Island
- Nelson Island
This service includes both ‘on-land’ events for Keats Island, Gambier Island and Thormanby Islands as well as ‘Flag Stop’ dock-to-dock service for water access-only residents on Gambier, Anvil, Keats, Nelson and Trail Islands.
This service is typically held in the summer months each year. Service dates vary from year to year due to tides and contractor schedule.
Materials collected each year are:
- Household garbage
- Scrap metal
- Rotating ‘special items’ for 2020 we are collecting fridges, freezers and mattresses. Note: propane fridges require pre-registration (on-land and flag stop.) Instructions on how to prepare are found below.
2020 Service information
SPECIAL NOTICE FOR 2020: Due to the current pandemic there a few changes to the program to ensure the safety of residents and staff. More details and specific instructions are included in the 2020 Islands Clean Up Packages in the next section.
Some of these changes include:
- Download the 2020 Package by clicking the link below for the type of event you will be participating in (flag stop or on-land). The package includes: the schedule, overview of accepted materials, special items instructions and handling and a "How to Prepare Guide."
2020 special items are fridges, freezers and mattresses. Propane fridges require pre-registration (flag stop and on-land) and special preparation and handling.
- Maximum of 2 mattresses/boxsprings or 1 mattress/boxspring and 1 fridge/freezer.
- Mattresses must be wrapped in clear plastic. Plastic available from moving companies.
- 2020 - 2024 Special Items Schedule: a schedule for special items that are accepted on a rotating basis as part of the Islands Clean Up.
- Items Not Accepted - FAQ Guide: explains why certain materials are not accepted and what to do with these items.
- Registration is required for flag stops: 604-885-6806 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please provide detailed location, GPS coordinates and any hazards to access.
- Flag stops must be registered no later than one week prior to the clean up event.
- The barge may arrive earlier or later than anticipated due to weather and tides.
- Residents must be at the dock. Unattended loads will be left.
- Must display a flag or something bright that is visible from a long distance and in poor weather. Ensure that it is visible on the day of the event. E.g. yellow or red PFD.
- Must move any boats out of the way for barge access.
- The how to prepare for flag stops package can be found linked above or here.
GENERAL SERVICE INFORMATION
- Mercury Transport Inc. is providing the barge services for the Islands Clean Up for 2020-2022.
- Each year's schedule is primarily prepared based on tides.
- For any scheduled event, dates may change due to poor weather.
Please contact us at 604-885-6806 or email@example.com