Rainwater Harvesting rebate program
Application period is closed for 2019.
about the program
The SCRD is offering a rebate of up to $500 per property for a rainwater storage cistern with a minimum storage volume of 4,500 liters (~1,000 imperial gallons).
- Applicants must be residential customers with an SCRD water utilities account.
- The Rainwater Harvesting System must be installed on the property listed on the utilties account.
- Each property is eligible for one rebate of up to $500 over the lifetime of the program.
- Only property owners are eligible for the rebate.
- Only cisterns with a minimum storage volume of 4,500 liters (~1,000 imperial gallons) are eligible for a rebate. Extra materials are not eligible for the rebate.
- Roof catchment area must be a minimum of 20 square meters.
- If there is a functioning Rainwater Harvesting System on the property that has not received a rebate, the property is eligible for a rebate for an additional cistern.
- Rebates are available on a first come, first serve basis. Once funds are fully allocated, the program will be finished for the year.
How to apply
Step 1: Submit Pre-Approval Application
- Complete a Pre-approval Application form, including a description of the system that is going to be installed.
- Submit with pre-approval form "before" photos of the site showing catchment area and cistern location. Photos of the catchment area and location where cistern will be installed should have an indication of scale, such as a person or a meter stick, and a reference point so that one can see the "before" and "after" photos are the same property.
- Pre-Approval Application Forms must be submitted prior to purchases.
Step 2: SCRD Application Review
The SCRD will review your application to determine eligibility and the availability of funds. Should the application be approved, you will receive an approval letter or e-mail.
Step 3: Complete Installation of Rainwater Harvesting System
Once applicants have received written approval from the SCRD, they will have a $500 rebate set aside. Installations must be completed and claim form submitted within 90 days of approval letter from the SCRD. Property owners or hired contractors may perform the installation.
Step 4: Submit Claim Form
Claim form and supporting material must be submitted within 90 days of approval letter from the SCRD. Final document submission includes:
- Itemized sales receipt(s) and/or invoice(s) marked PAID and dated.
- Photo(s) of the installed system, clearly showing the roof catchment area and the installed cistern with appropriate equipment.
- Completed Claim Form.
All documentation (forms, photos, and receipts) can be sent to the SCRD either:
- electronically to email@example.com with “Rainwater Harvesting Program” in the title
- or by mail/in person to
Att: Rainwater Harvesting Program
1975 Field Road
Sechelt, BC V0N 3A1
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Maintenance Tips for your Rainwater Harvesting System
- Vancouver Coastal Health guidance on Rainwater Harvesting
- BC Ministry of Farming, Natural Resources and Industry's Good Agriculture Practices, Water Quality Standards
- Regional District of Nanaimo's Rainwater Harvesting Best Practices Guidebook