Recreation Services restart
Safety and Expectations
Recreation Facilities are open but the “new normal” is different than before the COVID-19 pandemic. Please expect changes to what you may be used to and familiarize yourself with the changes before visiting us.
Assumption of Risk - Be aware that there is a risk of contracting COVID-19 despite our efforts. Please read the Assumption of Risk document . This document explains that although the SCRD has introduced controls to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in the recreation facilities, there is still a risk of contracting COVID-19. If you have underlying health conditions, you may want to consider carefully if you are willing to take this risk.
Expect the following controls to reduce risk of COVID-19 when you visit recreation facilities:
COVID-19 Safety Plans
SCRD Exposure Control Plan
SCRD Recreation COVID-19 Policy and Procedures
2020 Public Re-Opening Fitness & Community Recreation
Worksafe BC COVID-19 Safety Plan - Gibsons & Area Community Centre
WorkSafe BC COVID-19 Safety Plan - Sechelt Aquatic Centre and Pender Harbour Aquatic & FItness Centre
Newly Added Activities starting week of Sep 27
- Everyone Welcome Swims start week of Sep 27.
- Arena activities: Pickleball* and Skating* start week of Sep 27. *Only online registration is available for arena activities at this time.
- Aquatic fitness classes start week of Oct 5.
Staff are working on carefully adding more activities.
Patrons must pre-register for ALL programs, including programs that used to be drop-in before the COVID-19 pandemic. This allows us to make sure that we can all meet the 2 metre physical distancing requirement.
Arrive no more than 10 minutes before the start of your activity and no more than 5 minutes after the start time. When your activity ends, please leave promptly. This will help us minimize contact between people which can help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Dropping into the facility without registration is not permitted.
STAY HOME IF YOU ARE SICK!
Before visiting recreation facilities or attending programs, participants and staff are asked to do a self-check and stay home if experiencing any symptoms. If you are sick, contact Health Link BC at 811. Any participants displaying symptoms will be kindly asked to leave for the collective safety of everyone.
PHYSICALLY DISTANCE – DO YOUR PART, STAY 2 METRES APART
Physical distancing (staying 2 metres apart) is critical to preventing the spread of COVID-19. Maximum class sizes and room capacities have been adjusted to ensure that physical distancing can be maintained.
Traffic through the recreation facilities will be carefully controlled to help keep distance between people. Please watch for markers on floors and signs indicating how to move through the facilities.
HAND HYGIENE & ENHANCED CLEANING
Hand disinfectant will be provided at all programs and indoor spaces. Please use it frequently. Disinfecting spray or wipes will be available in indoor spaces. Please use before and after using any equipment. Avoid touching your face wherever possible.
We have increased the frequency of cleaning in the recreation facilities. High touch areas will be cleaned frequently and extra time is scheduled between activities for additional cleaning.
- Multi-purpose room rentals
- Court usage
- Bellies and Babies
- Parent & Tot
- YMCA Youth Centre
- Happy Hearts
- Vancouver Coastal Health Adaptive Fitness
- Fitness programming
- Swim lessons
- MYPASS Sales
- Skate rentals
- Skate Sharpening
- Gibsons & Area Community Centre - OPEN
- Pender Harbour Aquatic & Fitness Centre - OPEN
- Sechelt Aquatic Centre - OPEN
- Sunshine Coast Arena - will open Sep 29
Gibsons & District Aquatic Facility will remain closed in 2020.
We can help one another lower the spread of COVID-19
You can count on us to:
- Clean high touch areas frequently.
- Provide hand disinfectant at all programs and throughout each facility.
- Nightly fitness centre deep clean.
- Midday closure at each facility for a thorough deep clean of washrooms and changing areas.
- Disinfecting spray or wipes will be available in indoor spaces.
- Extra time is scheduled between activities for cleaning.
- Control the number of people in the building to maintain enough space for physical distancing.
We need you to:
- Pre-register before you arrive: online or by phone 604-885-6801.
- In person registrations are NOT available at the front desk at this time.
- Check in at the front desk for your program: up to 10 minutes before the start time of your program and no later than 5 minutes after the start of the program.
- Read the Assumption of Risk document before participating.
- Please observe traffic flow markers in the facility.
- Do your part and keep 2 metres apart.
- Please wash your hands frequently while in the facility. Hand disinfectant is provided for all programs.
- Disinfect equipment before and after use.
- Enjoy your program!
- Leave promptly after your program has finished. This will help us minimize contact between people which can help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Helpful hints to get the most out of your visit:
The facilities are open but things are different than the way they were before the COVID-19 Pandemic. Once you have pre-registered for an activity, read this before you come:
- Change room access will be limited. Plan to shower and change at home after your program ends if possible.
- Bring your own water bottle full from home. Water fountains will not be available.
- Avoid bringing valuables and extra items with you. Lost and found will be limited to phones, wallets and keys. Valuables will be sent to the RCMP.
- The number of washrooms available for patrons in the facility may be reduced.
- Spectators are not permitted at indoor classes at this time.
- Patrons are welcome to wear a mask. Mask wearing is recommended where physical distancing cannot be maintained.
- Transit products and Dog Licenses will not be available for sale at recreation facilities. Please visit www.scrd.ca or call 604-885-6800 for locations where you can purchase these items.
Get the latest recreation updates sent straight to your inbox by signing up for our recreation e-newsletter.